National Folklore Support Centre’s Tata Fellowships in Folklore are meant for M.Phil level students of participating Universities/colleges. This program facilitates an M.Phil level scholar belonging to one community to work collaboratively with another community’s elder or an artist to document the community elder/ artist’s tradition for a year long period. Each fellowship will carry an award of Rs.9000/- per month for the scholar and another Rs.9000/- per month for the community elder or artist. In addition to the monthly award each fellowship carries a contingency of Rs.50,000/- per annum to cover travel and documentation expenses. National Folklore Support Centre will coordinate with the departments of the participating Universities/colleges to select and eventually archive the audiovisual documentation resulting out of this program. National Folklore Support Centre will also use the documentation for its teaching program. The application must be sent by the scholar along with the consent letter of the community elder/artist.
To apply, please submit a proposal to the professor of participating University/college closest to you describing· The specific cultural tradition of the community elder/artist you seek to research and document·
The research questions that are central to your project
· The research and documentation methods you seek to follow
· Description of what you consider important in the collaborative undertaking between you and the other community elder/ artist
· A monthly work plan for a period of one year starting from April 2012 to March 2013
· The proposed outcomes of the project including how the documentation can be used in teaching programs.
Please remember to include the following with your proposal
· Supporting material to show your experience in undertaking this research and documentation project
· Your bio-data
· Your postal address, telephone/fax numbers, and email address
· Consent letter from the other community elder/artist to collaboratively work with you for a period of one year to facilitate the research and documentation process.
· Postal address and bio-data of your collaborator
· The concerned professors would advertise the fellowship announcement in their University/college catchment areas.
· Out of the all application received the concerned professors would shortlist five applications and send them to NFSC
· NFSC would further shortlist three out of five applications from each participating University/college.
· Two out of three applicants from each participating institution will be chosen in an interview with the selection committee.
Total Number of Fellowships for the Year 2012-2013 : 10 : Two per participating institution
You are eligible to apply if you are an Indian national living in the geographical area of the participating Universities/colleges. Senior scholars above the age 55 and retired scholars are NOT eligible for this fellowship
Your application should reach the concerned professor on or before February 25, 2012.
The shortlisted applications from the professors should reach NFSC on or before February 28, 2012.
Interview and training
The interview for shortlisted candidates will take place by the end of February or at the beginning of March 2012.
NFSC will organize a three-day training workshop for the selected candidates.
List of Participating Universities/colleges and the Names of Professors
1. Dr. Kishore Bhattacharjee, Head, Folklore Research Department, Guwahati University, Guwahati, Assam. Phones: 0361 -2544370/ 09706011139 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Dr. Desmond Kharmaphlang, Professor, Department of Cultural and Creative Studies, North Eastern Hill University (NEHU), Shillong, Meghalaya Phones: 0364-2723374 /09863060983 Email: email@example.com
3. Dr. Nongthombom Premchand, Director, Educational Multimedia Research Centre, Manipur University, Chanchipur, Imphal, Manipur Phone: 09436039679 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Dr. Anungla Aier, Department of Anthropology, Kohima Science college, Jotsoma- 797002, Kohima, Nagaland Phone: 09436014540 Email: email@example.com
5. Dr. Rabindranath Sarma, Assistant Professor, Centre for Indigenous Culture Studies, Central University of Jharkhand, Brambe, Ranchi- 835205 Phones: 07549198583/09863315243 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
“Tata Fellowships in Folklore”-Contact Information
National Folklore Support Centre,
No. 508, Fifth Floor, “Kaveri Complex”,
96, Mahatma Gandhi Road, Nungambakkam,
Chennai- 600034. Phones: 044-28229192/ 044-42138410/044-28212706